Tuesday, February 25, 2003

"Burn her! Burn her!" (MP&THG)

Now that I have opened up this can of virtual worms, I feel pressure to write. So write I will. At least this post, anyway, just to relieve the writer's block.

Days like today make me wonder if the math in intro economics is worth the work. I guess it would if I did not have to be the math teacher as well as the economics one. Alfred Marshall may have been too right when he advised that economists do the math in secret and burn the evidence after the math had been translated into prose.

Unfortunately, if I want these kids to think analytically, I don't see an easy alternative to giving them the opportunity to take the more strictly logical approach. Sadly enough, I see far too much memorization and far too little understanding.

No comments: