Monday, March 10, 2003

Balancing Act

There are quite a few topics in 101/102 that require the skills of a high-wire acrobat. I totter back and forth on the hot-button issue wire almost everyday in 102.

The budget deficit, the impending war on Iraq, the gender and racial economic disparities, the impending war on Iraq, Social Security, the impending war on Iraq, AIDS in Africa and the impending war on Iraq all weigh heavily on my lectures and on my conscience. Philosophers have long ago brushed away the line in the sand between the positive and normative, between the descriptive and prescriptive, between what is and what ought to be. There may be no line to walk, but I feel a strong urge to follow t closely in class.

My strongly-held opinions could easily overly influence or alienate the still-pliable minds in my class. I long for some students with strong and well-considered opinions to provide her/his classmates with some perspective. Playing the devil's advocate works on paper, but I fear I may be typecast. Or worse, the debate becomes unclear when presented as a monologue.

Beep, Beep, Beep. Time's up.

No comments: