Sunday, March 02, 2003

Dynamic (Diabolical) Duo

There are two devils stalking my students. They stand on both shoulders of each of my students. Long ago, it seemed they tag-teamed and deposed the lone angels acting as the students' consciences. What devils may these be? The dynamic duo of plagiarism and the inability to follow directions.

I have an writing assignment due online today.[I realize that writing and economics seem an odd couple, but I enjoyed the movie.] Only three of the ten-or-so early submissions followed directions and avoided 'citation issues.' As of tomorrow, when I will see the bulk of these assignments, I foresee the need to bring many students to task for yielding to the advice of these two devils.

I, and my students, will waste more precious educational time dealing with issues prompted by laziness, poor preparation for college, general incompetence and apathy than we will spend using these writing assignment as a tool for developing both an understanding of the world around us and the students' writing skills.

Any more of this and I may go on strike!

No comments: