Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Reasonable Procrastination

What is it with my sudden interest in blogging? Is it a fad that will fade away with the passing weeks? Is it just a way for me to delay delving into the ever-increasing pile of tedious grading I need to do? Maybe, just maybe, it is a legitimate investigation of a potentially useful pedagogcial tool that I could incorporate into my courses to my students learn more, better, faster. I wish.
There are so many things to include in my class to 'improve' the educational experience for my students. From Service Learning to connected learning to asynchronous virtual class discussions to spreadsheet-based projects to essay writing, I have tried and am still experimenting with ways to educate the students. But, as a good economist, I have to make that cost/benefit analysis. It is not about following trendy pedagogy or using cool software. It is not about impressing my peers or myself with how many nifty side dishes I serve my students. It is about the meat and potatoes (for the non-vegans) of economics. I can't sacrifice content for window dressing.
I am not a Luddite, broadly or narrowly defined, so I will continue to play with the new toys. I hope that I never lose the focus on good old guns'n'butter.

No comments: